Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Being a Fan...

This past month (and some change) has not been easy for me at all! AT ALL! I pride myself in being a well rounded person, for the most part; I love sports and I follow a select few teams or a person religiously. But it's been pretty tough to take; this past month, especially. No worries, I'll explain in detail; I need to vent anyway! Sorry, beautiful people...this might be a long 'un.

- FC Barcelona: I blame Pops, my older brother, for this obsession, really. He was the one who wouldn't stop talking about this team and Messi and Pep (who I call Peppie; my relationship with the hunky coach is a little more intimate that my brother's) and the amazing chemistry between all the players and how they play like a well-oiled machine and all that. So, one day, about two plus years ago, I decided to watch one match with Pops to see what the fuss was about. I used to root for Real Madrid but I stopped when they traded Raul to some German club (yep, my emotions ran really deep there). I believe the match I watched was Barca against Real Madrid, my former team. A beautiful El Classico. Barca won, of course. I did see the chemistry this team had and I noticed that they passed a lot and they were so well timed that it looked choreographed! It was also funny that they were all pint-sized! haha. Small guys deadly with a soccer ball. And of course, there was 22 year old (at the time) Leo Messi, who just reminded me of a shorter, stockier, younger, Roger Federer (we'll get to him later). I was hooked! I watch all the matches, trash talk a lot when they win, hide my head in the sand when they don't and just plain LOVE them.

Repping Barca!!
So imagine my despair when three horrible things happened back to back - we lost our semi-final UEFA match to Chelsea (of all teams, ACK!), we lost a key La Liga match to Real Madrid, both at home!! And then - Pep "Peppie" Guardiola, our beautifully made coach, decided to step down after 4 glorious years. I wrote this to Peppie on my other blog (I'll get to the story behind this in a minute) -

Pep! Oh Pep!! Why are you leaving us?! So soon after two disappointing losses! You were like icing on the cake for me on the sidelines...with your crisp fitted white shirt tucked into snug pants, thin tie and beautiful blazer topped off with your scruffy beard of grey black accented with that cute dent in your chin....
WHY Peppie! WHY!!!!


El Barca no sera lo mismo sin ti, oh Pep. Gracias por todo lo que hab al equipo ygoodluck con sus proyectus futuros.
Love that scruff on his face!
                                     

Oh Peppie!! Don't GO!! Notice the thin tie, snug pants and blazer..


And now I read that Carles Puyol is out for six weeks with a knee injury and Pops says he's getting old and might retire soon!! My heart can't take this!! It just CAN'T!!!

- Roger Federer: If this your first time reading my blog, let me just say that my love affair with Rogerio (my new pet name for my husband...you like?) is long and deep. He's the reason I watch tennis. Without him, I get twitchy 'cos watching tennis without him is like an ice cream sundae without whipped cream and cherry..like cheese-less pizza...like soul food without collard greens and fried chicken. You get my point. So you will understand how HORRIBLE I felt when after losing in the second round of the Sony Ericsson Open in mid-March, Rogerio went on vacay! Now, this time, it's not the fact that he went with his first wife and twins that irked me, it's just that he LEFT! For 6 weeks!! Why would he do that to me? Yeah, he needs to recuperate, but couldn't he have done that in like 3 days?! I was lost! I was itchy! I needed a fix...so I turned to Tumblr and found people like me who were heartbroken and in dire need of a picture, a gif, a post on his facebook page...SOMETHING!
Couldn't have put it better!!

Rogerio! 

I also discovered that although I love him a lot...I cannot begin to describe how much I love this guy...some people are just over-the-top! It made me feel marginally better about myself. So, while I was waiting, I started another blog on Tumblr, focusing on my favorite sports teams and people (leaning heavily on RF). You can find that HERE!

But, I am glad to announce that the wait is over!! Roger plays his first match in 6 weeks in the 2nd round of the Madrid Open on "blue" clay (another long blog coming up on this debacle) against cutie with a deadly serve, Canadian, Milos Raonic. Needless to say I will be watching that with a heavy glass of Amish Orange Juice and assorted nuts! With a stupid grin on my face and a gleam in my eye. My man is BACK!!

Rog in Madrid


Well, that's all for today..I don't want your eyes to glaze over any more than I suspect they already have (lol)

Peace be unto thee!!

Till next time!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment