Thursday, November 3, 2011

Nigerian Entertainment

I love Nigeria!

There is no denying that Nigeria is filled with talent, brilliant minds and untapped resources. Nigeria is beautiful - she's filled with a diverse people who despite their conditions, they always find a way to smile. I am seriously deviating from my blog post today...can't seem to help myself.

But back to the topic of the day -

Nigeria's music scene right now is seriously impressing me! Ask my friends, although Nollywood holds no particular interest for me, I am an avid 9ja music follower! Thanks to www.lasgiditunes.com, I stay up to date on the new songs out there. But for today, I would like to feature the artists who are currently making my days at work run really smoothly -

1. P-Square - Peter and Paul have an uncanny ability to re-invent their songs in a way that doesn't change who they are but it not stale either - Their new album, The Invasion (listen HERE), is on point! I don't think there's a song on there I don't like. It's been that way for me with these Igbo boys since 2002 when I bought their first album. "Igbedu" is still one of my all-time favorites! They have more artists featuring in a lot of the songs on this album, mixing reggae-ish beats with techno that I think they pulled off really well. But then, I'm biased. Take a listen. Judge for yourself.

2. Ice Prince Zamani - This is my new favorite guy! His first ever album (he's known for Oleku, a single he released a while ago), Everybody Loves IcePrince (ELI) has songs like Superstar, Olofofo and Wassup Wassup that, in my opinion, are correct! Again, I go to www.lasgiditunes.com and just play the whole thing over and over again. Before I decided to take a chance and listen to the album, I went online to look at reviews...never again! EVER! Some people were just describing what the songs were about; who needs that! Others were just yarning dust! I should have learned my lesson when I refused to watch the movie 300 because the critics panned it, then ended up loving the movie so much, I went to the theater twice to watch it and I bought the DVD when it came out. Reviews ko, reviews ni! Well, anyway, I really like this album. I like it a whole lot. If I had to pick a favorite (hard choice..ack) I'd pick "Wassup Wassup", featuring Tuface, who just takes all the songs he's in to another level. Listen to the whole album HERE.

3. WizKid - Or to be precise, WizPapi (he's a baby daddy now, so he should consider the name change). I like the guy - he's a cutie; I just want to pinch his cheeks! I haven't met a WizKid song I didn't like. He (or Banky W) was smart to release a few songs first and feature in people's songs to get his name out there then hit us all upside the head with his Album that had a lot of surprises (Wiz Party, No Lele, Love my Baby...too madt). He's my go to guy when I have a headache at work (as well as Josh Groban) and the regular dose of Ibuprofen doesn't work. Listen to his album, Superstar HERE.


I'd like to end by leaving you with these -

1. My friend, AyoJay, just released a song with CapB, "She Like It" - Listen HERE
2. Another Boo, Lekan aka MM, released his music video for his song, BB Pin. Watch Below -



3. I can't talk about the Nigerian Music Scene without touching on Tuface (although I did in #2 above). I've only heard 3 songs off of his new album, Unstoppable, and what I've heard so far, I love. Listen HERE. He also has music videos out for 2 out of the 3; this one's my favorite -


It's hard to pick just these, because I love a lot of these artists (like Eldee, 9ice, ID Cabasa, Banky W,oh gosh!) but that's the koko - I LOVE 9JA MUSIC!!!

Happy Listening/Watching!!!

Have a blessed day, everybody!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment